The ADB Japan Scholarship Program, an initiative of the Government of Japan, has been a beacon of hope for the best-qualified minds hailing from the Asian Development Bank’s (ADB) member nations.
This program offers them the unique opportunity to pursue master’s degrees in select institutions across the Asia and Pacific Region.
Among these esteemed institutions stands the University of Tokyo, Japan, where the ADB Japan Scholarship program offers a tuition-free education.
This fully-funded scholarship aims to further enhance the skills of international students and guide them toward development-related fields, fostering a brighter tomorrow.
The Japan Government Scholarship Program, within the broader ADB scholarship framework, plays a pivotal role in promoting studies in economics, science, and environment-related fields. Since its inception in 1988, the ADB scholarship has been committed to uplifting students from ADB member countries.
To address the evolving needs of Asia and the Pacific Region, the Asian Development Bank has forged a strategic partnership with the Government of Japan to establish funds for the ADB-Japan scholarship, providing educational opportunities to international students from member states.
The ADB-Japan Scholarship Program at the University of Tokyo is a prestigious opportunity for individuals to access world-class education without the financial burden.
While the program extends opportunities to study in multiple participating institutions, this article will exclusively focus on the unique offerings at the University of Tokyo.
With nearly 4,200 international students calling it home, the University of Tokyo boasts a diverse and inclusive academic environment.
ADB scholars studying here not only have the privilege of pursuing academic excellence but also the opportunity to embrace diversity and immerse themselves in various cultures.
This diversity enriches their educational experience and fosters a global perspective, essential for future leaders in development-related fields.
The University of Tokyo’s illustrious history is marked by its contribution to academia, research, and global leadership. The institution has proudly produced seventeen prime ministers, seventeen Nobel Prize Laureates, five astronauts, and a Fields Medalist.
These remarkable achievements reflect the University’s commitment to fostering brilliance and innovation, traits that resonate with the goals of the ADB-Japan Scholarship Program.
Table of Contents
ADB Japan Scholarship Program 2024
Host Country: Japan.
Host University: The University of Tokyo.
Financed By: The Government of Japan
Organized By: The Asian Development Bank
Degree Program: Master’s Degree Programs
- Department of Natural Environmental Studies
- Department of Ocean Technology, Policy, and Environment
- Department of Environment Systems
- Department of Human and Engineered Environmental Studies
- Department of Socio-Cultural Environment Studies
- Department of International Studies
- Graduate Program in Sustainability Science – Global Leadership Initiative
ADB-Japan Scholarship Program Benefits 2024
- The full tuition fee will be covered by the ADB-Japan scholarship.
- The scholars will be provided with a monthly subsistence and housing allowance.
- The scholar will be given a book allowance and a grant for instructional materials.
- The scholar’s medical insurance will be covered.
- The travel expenses will be covered.
Others Are Applying: Chevening Fellowships 2024 in the UK | Fully Funded
Eligibility Criteria of the ADB Japan Scholarship Program 2024
- The candidate must be a citizen of an ADB member state or a Japanese ODA scholarship-eligible country.
- The candidates must have been admitted to the University of Tokyo Japan for a master’s program.
- The candidates must have a bachelor’s degree with an excellent academic record.
- The candidate must have 2 years of professional experience after completion of the degree program.
- The candidates must be proficient in English.
- The candidate must not be more than 35 years of age. However, for the programs which are appropriate for senior officials and managers, the age limit is 45 years.
- If the candidate is an employee or has an immediate relationship with the ADB employee he/she can not apply.
- The candidate must be in good health and can move to Tokyo for studies.
- The candidate who is not living or working in his/her own home country, he/she can not apply.
- The candidates must be agreed on a return to their home countries after the completion of the program.
- The candidate must maintain an exceptional academic record to continue the scholarship for the second year.
How to Apply for the ADB Scholarship Program 2024
- The candidates must apply to the University of Tokyo for a desired master’s program.
- The candidates have to be mentioned for consideration for the ADB scholarship.
- The ADB JSP information sheet form must also be sent to the University of Tokyo.
- The candidates have to submit their proof of income, tax returns, or proof of family income.
- Tokyo University will rank the applicants and send the details to the ADB.
- The documents must be submitted online as well as sent by post.
Application Procedure of the ADB University of Tokyo Scholarship 2024
- The application procedure is divided into 5 main steps.
- The candidate should search for a supervisor at the University of Tokyo.
- By December the candidate must send the set of a complete application.
- The University of Tokyo verifies the sent qualifications of the applicants from December to February.
- By March, successful candidates must apply for an ADB scholarship by GSFS.
The application deadline for the ADB Japan Scholarship Program at the University of Tokyo Japan is December 10, 2023.